Brown Butler is a proactive accountancy firm, specialising in the provision of accountancy, audit and taxation services to a wide-ranging client base. We provide Director-led Business Advice that goes beyond the purely financial aspects. With a strong Client service focus our clients find it refreshing that we focus on the bigger picture, maximising value for them. This enables our experienced team to engage with clients to meet their needs at both the local and also international level as part of the DFK International Association.
Our Clients are wide ranging in type and size, with locations predominantly based across Yorkshire and North East of England. One common factor is they are all privately owned whether that be family, business associates or private equity.
To be part of our team the successful candidate will be confident in their work and enjoy variety in their role.
This role will predominantly be supporting an Accounts Senior with one of our larger clients which has a varied portfolio of companies. You will be providing bookkeeping services, contacting suppliers and customers regarding queries and be required to prepare VAT returns. The role will also involve the preparation of year end accounts for other clients.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone from a Practice background to work within an end-to-end process with experienced colleagues in an established and well-regarded Firm.
Key tasks and day to day responsibilities include:
- Preparation and submission of VAT returns to HMRC, accurately and to required time requirements (MTD and other)
- Liaising with key contacts for bookkeeping clients and providing backup support on finance/admin related queries
- Preparation of statutory accounts for Limited companies, Sole Traders, Partnerships and LLP’s for managers approval and sign off prior to submission
- Filing/submitting of prepared Company Accounts to Companies House and ensuring have been received to time requirements
- Income tax computations and corporation tax computations and associated administration.
- Contacting HMRC regarding corporate tax affairs
- Reconciliation of Client bank statements to Client systems and records alongside normal control accounts or reconciliations of Purchase and sales ledgers, VAT, PAYE and wages, maintain Fixed Asset register
- Dealing with and managing associated administration and client correspondence
- Answering enquiries from clients and colleagues
- Liaising with other departments and teams
- Providing a professional, friendly and helpful service
Key Skills and Essential Criteria:
- A good understanding of VAT and ideally partial exemption rules.
- An organised and methodical approach to work
- Good time management, practised and comfortable working to deadlines
- Natural high level of attention to detail
- Logical approach and good analytical, problem solving skills
- Curious, with the ability to apply thinking across different scenarios
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal, comfortable talking face to face; communicating by telephone and email with a range of different people
- Experience of working within a team and also independently
- Ability to self-manage workload and work on own initiative
In addition, candidates will need the following:
- IT Software skills; Microsoft office packages of Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Accountancy software skills; experience in using Digita (desirable but not essential) plus experience in using one or more of the leading providers (Quick books (desktop and cloud) Xero, Sage line 50).
- AAT qualified or part qualified ACCA or ACA.
For an informal chat or to enquire further about the role please email email@example.com.
All applications should be made by forwarding your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Supplementary Information:
Job Title: Bookkeeper/Accounts Semi Senior
Hours: Full-time @ 37 hours per week
Some flexibility on working of hours, with 7.5 hours to be worked each day between the hours of 8.30am – 5.30pm. We are also able to accommodate starting earlier or later if helpful for candidates travel times and requirements.
Benefits: Competitive salary, with excellent long-term earning potential
Annual leave of 23 days plus 8 bank holidays plus 1 extra pre-determined day at Christmas
Enhanced Company sick pay (upon successful completion of probationary period)
Private pension scheme with employer contribution up to 5%
Professional Fees reimbursement
Opportunities for Continued Professional Development
Flexible approach to hours